Our People, Our Culture
It can only be the people. Every specialty we've pioneered. Every breakthrough we've created. They wouldn't be possible without the exceptionally talented individuals who make up the Henry Ford Health System Team, including our Henry Ford Health System Medical Group and community physicians and medical staff. The care provided by every one of our expert physicians, nurses and technicians is truly what sets us apart as a health system, and it's the opportunity to work alongside these talented professionals which continues to attract people to our team.
Our Definition of Diversity
Diversity has many meanings and definitions, but at Henry Ford, we see it as a way to value the unique talents of our employees. Our commitment to diversity revolves around creating a culture of inclusion, where all employees have an opportunity for advancement, are treated with respect and dignity and can contribute their diversity of thought, work- style, background and experiences. Our goal is to create a culture of professional growth, built on positive relationships while maximizing each employee's potential. This is accomplished by appreciating our diversity on all levels within the organization. Diversity and inclusion are considered in all of our decisions and are the key reasons that we are nationally recognized as a top diversity employer for all of the nursing, pharmaceutical and other healthcare jobs we have available in Michigan.
We understand diversity to encompass not only obvious human differences such as age, gender, race and culture, but also more subtle dimensions like work style, life style, physical capacity and characteristics. In an organizational context, diversity is found in the mix of differences we collectively create, rather than in the uniqueness of any individual group.
Our Diversity Statement
Henry Ford embraces diversity by valuing the unique ideas, talents, contributions and needs of our people and community. We are committed to continually shaping a diverse work environment that promotes opportunity for personal and professional growth. We hold each member of our team accountable for actively fostering a culture of inclusion in order to enhance the quality of care and comfort for each person that we serve.
Keeping with our progressive approach to diversity, we promote the following principles and standards for all of our health care jobs in Michigan:
- Sensitivity to family structure and lifestyles
- The health and well-being of employees
- Flexibility for accomplishing work assignments, promoting the belief that you can have both a healthy career and a personal life.
- An organizational culture that supports and leverages the talent and skills of all employees
- Recognition and respect for efforts and contributions of all employees
- Social responsibility and commitment to community
Our 2009 Awards
- 101 Best and Brightest Places to Work by the Michigan Business & Professional Association and received the Elite Award in the Diversity and Multiculturalism category.
- One of the Cool Places to Work in Tough Times by Crain's Detroit Business.
- One of the Top Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press.
- Henry Ford Hospital was named one of the 100 Top Hospitals to Work For by Nursing Professionals Magazine.
- For the second year in a row, Henry Ford Health System was selected as one of the Top 50 Companies for Diversity. Henry Ford ranked 26th, moving up from 41st in 2008.